Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dark, Puffy Eyes

My lack of sleep is really affecting my eyebags (duh) and I am getting really annoyed with it so here are some things I discovered about what we can do to help lighten them and prevent them without flushing out a ton of money on products that usually don't work or have to have surgery that can cause worse results.

Here are some tips and remedies I found online. These are not MY ideas and I did not come up with it. I just wanted to share with you guys what I found.


1. Cucumbers are definitely the first thing that came to my mind. Ever since I was a kid, I've seen cucumbers put on eyes by my relatives and movies. I didn't know then why they did but now I do. Cucumbers reduce swelling therefore when you put them on your eyes, they should unswell them suckers!

 
2. What we eat really does affect our physical appearance so watch what you eat not just because of your health. I know that the main thing people watch out for when eating is their physical appearance, which mainly focuses on weight, but not a lot of people eat for their skin. Water is definitely our saviour so we do not turn into a prune. Hydrating our body means hydrating our skin. Hydrated skin = our skin at its best. Anyway, back to undereye circles. Limit foods with a lot of sugar and salt. Why sugar? Because inflammation (eye puffiness, dark circles, etc.) and protein are affected by the intake of sugar, and too much sugar means skin aging (called glycation). And salt? "Salt produces fluid retention this increases the pressure in the small capillaries in your eye area aggravating your dark circles."  Also, limit intake of vitamin A or retin-A "Excess vitamin A or an overdose of Retin-A is very likely to cause liver problems, which can cause dark circles under eyes." So say foods such as Instant Oatmeal, Cereal, mango, carrots, squash, sweet potato, meat, poultry, etc. I'm not saying do not eat foods with Vitamin A, sugar, or salt,. That would be impossible and our bodies need a certain amount of them anyway. So just do not exceed your intake on them. Moreover, the lack of vitamin K and B12 deficiencey (anemia related) can cause dark circles. Try eating leafy vegetables like cabbage and spinach.

3. Sleep. Definitely something I don't get enough of. I sleep only because I have to. If it was up to me, I wouldn't sleep because I hate the thought of spending countless hours in my life with sleep. I'd rather be productive wiht my life. Anyway, lack of sleep tends to make our skin lighter (so dark circles become more apparent) and reduces circulation.


4. Refrigerate damp tea bags for about 10 to 15 minutes and then put them on your eye bags. Tannin in tea is supposed to help reduce swelling and discoloration. Be careful what type of tea you use. Chamomile tea may cause swelling.



5. Avoid rubbing your eyes because it irritates the skin and breaks the capillaries beneath the skin which can lead to puffiness and discoloration. Not even just that, if your hands are dirty, your eye can get infected and that will be no fun.

 
6. Have allergies? Then you know how eyes can get puffy right? Get rid of the allergens (what you're allergic to).





7. Do you smoke? If you do, stop smoking! I personally am against smoking because I think it's lame how one can spend so much money on a pack of ciggies per lifetime. You are digging your own grave. Why buy things that can kill you faster? Anyway.... besides the deadly factor and pollution smoking causes, it causes blood vessel problems and not only can that kill you, it can make your blood vessels stand out more and bluer beneath the skin (hence blue veins under eyes).

8.Drinking cranberry juice is another remedy some people use. You have to drink it daily for about two weeks to see any difference.




9. Wear sunscreen always! A suggestion of putting more sunscreen under your eyes makes sense to prevent darkening of them from other parts of your face. I would suggest sunscreen made especially for face and for sensitive skin would be better for that because your eyes are sensitive!

 
10. A quick remedy for swelling is a cold spoon. Leave a spoon in a freezer for about 10 minutes then put them on your bags for about 3 minutes. Be careful not to get it stuck though.



Sources:
Homemade Medicine
WikiHow
Images found with Google Images (except the balance picture which I made with Adobe Photoshop CS4.

PS. I have not tried any of these but I will soon. Then I'll update you guys about it.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails